Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

FAQ and Information

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to wear to play bowls

Members must wear appropriate flat - soled, heel-less footwear when playing on the Green. If you are required to leave the Club grounds for any reason then please change back into normal footwear and change back again upon your return to the Green

You can wear casual clothes during your initial coaching sessions. 

Once you have completed your training and have become a full member you will be expected to follow the dress code as specified below,  the dress code also applies when you are marking for other players:

• Casual Play:
    For casual play , there is no prescribed dress code apart from the need to comply with the footwear regulations  above.

• Drives and Special Days:
    Members must conform to the dress code for all club activities. For matches where you are representing the Club, this will be a Club Shirt and the prescribed colour for the event (Grey, Black, White) as determined by the Fixture booklet or the Club Captains/Vice Captains

​You may also need a set of waterproof outer clothes for playing in the rain and a hat to keep off the sun.  Some people also buy gloves to help them grip the bowls. 

What equipment do I need to have to play bowls

• A set of bowls.  You will use club bowls during the coaching sessions but will need your own set of 4 once you join the club, the coach will advise on the size and type of bowl you will need to buy.  A lot of members start with second- hand bowls.
  • A measure.  At times you will play in a position where you need to identify which bowls are closest to the jack, a string measure is used when it is difficult to decide which of two opposing bowls is closest
  • A piece of chalk (or spray)   to mark a bowl that touches the jack on delivery
  • Wedges to stop a bowl falling over while being measured. 
  • Some people also buy stuff to help them grip the bowls

How soon would I be allowed to play in games against other clubs

• You will be eligible to play as soon as you become a member.
    You will need to add your name to the availability list for each game.

What duties will I be expected to perform as part of my membership

• There are a several ways that you can optionally help the club including: Shopping, joining the Social committee, taking part in working parties, representing the club for bowls associations etc.